ZynSync’s calendar sync provides the ability to bi-directionally sync calendar events between email and Salesforce calendars.
Synced fields include:
- Event Summary/Title
- Start Date
- End Date
- Event Invitees (email address and response status)
- All Day Indicator
To synchronize calendar events between Email and Salesforce, open the hamburger menu on the ZynBit sidebar and click on Salesforce Sync. Click on Calendar to edit the sync rules.
If connection prompts appear, follow the instructions to add: 1) your email credentials (for the email account that has the calendar entries to share with Salesforce) 2) and your Salesforce credentials and 3) authorize ZynBit to do work on your behalf. This allows ZynBit to read appointments from one system and create them in the other. If you are already connected, you will not see these prompts.
Note: If you need to connect an Exchange platform, your Exchange administrator should be able to assist in completing the exchange setup using these instructions. Connecting with Exchange Servers
- Choosing Sync Direction: When using ZynSync, you can edit events on either your Salesforce or Email-based calendar and the other will be updated if configured to do so. Choose the direction you prefer to sync or choose to have event updated bidirectionally. Events are identified as a synced pair by having identical Summary, Start Date, and End Date. (If attendees are added or removed from meetings, this will cause the meeting to update as configured.) Records in Salesforce are compared to those in email, and the record with the most recent time stamp takes precedence (the other event will be modified to match the one most recently changed).
2. Next, choose which records you wish to sync:
- Sync all events -will perform a sync for all records.
- Only sync events that contain an invitee – If no attendees have been invited for the event, this option will prevent syncing.
- Only sync events that contain a contact or lead – Only events that contain a Salesforce contact or lead on the invitee list will be synced.
Events sync’d will include those occurring on or after the specified Start Date up to one month into the past and two months into the future from today’s date. This means a total of three month’s events will be synced each run. It is possible to extend the range of the sync program. To do so, please open a case by emailing email@example.com and ask to have sync extended into the future for up to 6 months.
When Private events are found, they are sync’d between calendars (to indicate that the time is not free) but display only as “Private”.
Tip: For nearly immediate syncing, use the start syncing and stop syncing button. The ZynSync service currently runs every two hours as a scheduled event, but immediate syncing is useful when testing or training. The Sync can be set to run at more frequent intervals but doing so consumes additional API calls to Salesforce. Salesforce allots a specific quantity of API calls per organization, so your Salesforce administrator needs to review your current API allocation and usage to see if increasing the frequency is a good idea for your organization.
- When there are multiple users with sync enabled syncing common/shared events the following rules apply:
- Salesforce to Email – When an event is synced from Salesforce to email, the first user to sync the event becomes the email organizer and the event is placed on both users’ calendars. The second user’s sync will detect the copy, and should not sync the event a second time
- Email to Salesforce – When an event is synced from Email to Salesforce, each Salesforce user receives an individual, distinct copy of the event.
- Event Invitees will be handled as follows:
- Salesforce to Email – All Contacts and Leads on the event that have a populated email address will be included as invitees on the email version of the event.
- Email to Salesforce – All invitees on the event will be checked against Salesforce Contacts and Leads. If the invitee exists as a Contact or Lead, they will be included as an Event Relation invitee on the Salesforce event.
- Response Status – If the user has access to the response status tracking of an email event, then the sync will update invitee response status in Salesforce. (In Office 365, the user must be the meeting organizer to have this data.)
- Related To / Name associations in Salesforce depend on the Salesforce configuration for share activities.
- Shared Activities Enabled – Up to 1 Lead or 50 Contacts will be associated with the event
- Shared Activities Disabled – 1 Lead or Contact will be associated with the event, and will be chosen by sorting invitees by Leads, then Contacts, then by ownership, then by email address, and selecting the first result from the list.
Limitation on Required Custom fields
As calendar sync is an automated process, the Salesforce event record type cannot contain any custom fields that are marked as required.
Match Criteria and Duplicate Detection
- Events are paired between Salesforce and email by looking at the composite key criteria of Summary, Start Date, and End Date
- Once a pairing is established between a Salesforce and email event, future changes to the key criteria or invitees will be synced between systems
- If multiple events are found containing identical key criteria, the sync will omit the duplicate copies from the process.